Admission to Doctoral Degree Programs of SUSTech 2019
About the Program
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) offers Doctoral degrees in all the academic departmental research areas.
All programs are offered fully in English.
Doctoral degree programs are required to be completed in 4 years.
SUSTech offers Presidential PhD student Fellowship or SUSTech PhD student Fellowship to full-time international Doctoral students at the following rate: Up to RMB100,000/ year, up to 4 years, subject to the academic quality/achievements of the candidates.
Applicants must be citizens with foreign passport and have attained a Master’s degree.
Applicants should be graduated from a leading university in his/her home country, and demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above, or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Doctoral level tuition fee: RMB10,000/ year
Accommodation fee: RMB 1,300/ year. Accommodation standard for Doctoral students is single room. For applying for accommodation, admitted students may contact the relative SUSTech department.
Students are responsible for Chinese medical insurance, visa, transportation fee, ect.
The above listed fee is just for reference. The exact amount of tuition and accommodation fees is subject to the approval of the authorities and will be informed upon enrollment.
Please visit the department website for information of SUSTech supervisors and research areas. Department contacts are for enquiries and receiving applications.
How to Apply
March 31, 2019. Please email the application documents to department contacts listed above. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech PhD 2019 – international student - Name
Application Documents (PDF version):
(1) Application Form (Please download the “Application form-SUSTech PhD” from http://gs.sustc.edu.cn/zhaoshengQ&A)
(2) Personal Statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
(3) Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
(4) Academic transcripts during Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
(5) Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
(6) Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.) If the letter is sealed, please send it by mail.
(7) A photocopy of passport.
(8) Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Department may require hard copies of the about documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
Applications will be considered on the basis of the information (such as academic/ professional qualifications and work experience) that is provided on the application form. You may be required to attend an interview and/or test.
Certificate of Admission will be issued by SUSTech Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, result of admission will be sent to applicants by email.
Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), as well as other original required documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1 visa). Students shall come to SUSTech for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, registration is held in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and X1 visa; and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificate upon registration at SUSTech for enrollment qualification review. Students who are failed enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
SUSTech Graduate School
Graduate School website: http://gs.sustc.edu.cn/